Sunday, October 11, 2009

Radiation has Begun





Well as you can see I have started the Radiation Therapy part of my recovery. They only radiate the left side that had the cancer. All of those X's on my arms is also on the middle of my chest and all down the left side of my torso. There are probably about 20+ markings. Thankfully nothing permanent. The process of setting me up and lining up all the markings with the lasers almost takes longer than the actual radiation. Crazy but they want it to be right on the exact spot. I have to have X-rays each week and see the doctor every Monday. They monitor my progress very carefully.
Radiation does not hurt at all. It is just like getting an X-ray. It only lasts a few minutes. You are in a fairly large room but it is all lead walls and the door is a vault door like at a bank. I think that is the eeriest part of it hearing that door close and lock. The radiation is done as soon as the machine turns off. So the techs are able to come right back in afterwards. It is not an internal radiation where you have to be isolated for a certain amount of time. So far it has been a breeze. I only have a small pink spot where one of the X's were. They put a clear tape over the paint marks and sometimes they have to be replaced. When they took the sticker off it left a pink raw area. Not to bad though. I haven't been tired at all so far. He said that will probably start this week. Other than that no side affects. God is good.
My final radiation day is November 9th and then about 4 weeks after that will be my surgery to have the implants put in. So hopefully I will still have "New Boobs" for Christmas.
We have all been doing good just busy with life I guess. Caitlyn has had the chicken pox and then Chandler got Bronchitis. Fun Stuff!!! Just another week in the Higginbotham household.
Also one of my neighbors is having some painting done at her house and she saw my house and wanted to know if Mom and I would help her decorate. So we have been trying to help her go thru all her stuff, organize & decorate. That has been fun but keeping us busy also. She has been having to go back and forth to Greensboro because her Dad's health is going down. He had one leg amputated in March and another a few weeks ago because of diabetes. Now his kidneys are starting to shut down. She is so upset as you can imagine. So Mom & I have been making ourselves at home and putting everything back together once the painters finish each room. It has been fun & given us a lot to do. But a lot of fun helping her. Please keep her father in your prayers this week.
I hope everyone has a great week and gets everything you need to accomplish done.
Love & prayers,
Rachael

3 comments:

  1. You are receiving radiation...You are exuding radiance. I love your spirit.
    Love and prayers, A. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think there are so many things I learn from watching you go through cancer Rachael and I wish I could say I fought my battle with as much faith and courage as you have. I'm so thankful you are almost done with radiation...and you are going to get an awesome Christmas present! :) Thank you for taking the time to share this journey with us, you know I would be there if I could, just like I know you would be here for me. Thanks for being an amazing example of courage. i love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you, I tried to call this morning, but I got nothin.... hahaha I bet you are at radiation, but I just wanted to read whats been going on in your land... so much has been going on at our end... we really need to get together!!! I miss you already and it hasn't really been that long... I think I miss us just hanging out the most and talking all the time and catching up! I am praying for you and am so glad and thankful that you are not in any pain!!! I miss you oh so much!!! All my Love, Nikki

    ReplyDelete