Wednesday, November 4, 2009

When I Am Weak He is Strong

Last Thursday, we buried my Grandpa Bob. It was a Lutheran Funeral, which is a little different when you are used to a Pentecostal Funeral Service. However it was a beautiful service. The song I chose for the service was by Brad Paisley & Dolly Parton, "When I get Where I'm Going". Everyone cried.


While we were there we were able to see so many family members that we grew up with (like till we were 5 anyway)LOL, an uncle and several other relatives that we literally have not seen in 25 years. We bonded like there had never been any time spent before. We discovered an Uncle Clay who is hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. So in spite of the sadness and occasion of being in Washington, a piece of our family was restored.


But I have to say it made me sad too. To think of all the time lost with those family members. It once again reminded me of how precious life & time is. We only have now. We are not guaranteed tomorrow. As the saying goes, "The most important things in Life are not Things!!" Oh how true that is. The people in our lives are what is important. One of the things last week that seemed to continually come up was: Forgiveness. Please don't leave things unsaid to those you love. Regardless of the issue, is it worth it to hang on to the bitterness and anger? Life is too short. People change. Make an effort to build that bridge. As I discovered this week, it is soo worth it.


We all flew home Sunday morning early again. Mom stayed to go visit a friend in Portland which is about 2 hours or so from Tacoma. Monday evening we got a call from Mom that Uncle Carl, whom is Grandpa Bob's Brother, passed away. He was at Grandpa's viewing and funeral. He has been fighting cancer the last year. He wasn't doing well but still. So 4 days after we buried Uncle Carl's brother he passed away himself. Sometimes this year I really do feel like screaming to God, "Come on Lord. Enough is Enough!!!!!!" Maybe that is rude but this year really is a doozy of a year. And I keep thinking Ok it can't get much worse and then guess what it does. However, in saying that and feeling that way, the last two mornings getting in the truck to go to radiation the song by Chris Tomlin, "How Great is Our God" started playing as I backed out of the driveway. I honestly felt like God was saying, "Don't forget who is in control. Don't forget the I Am that I Am. Don't forget how Great God really is." And once again I remind myself that He is still in control and I hold to my verse...He has plans to prosper you and not harm you. To give you hope & a future. Jer. 29:11



With Faith & Hope like that straight from God himself, who am I to question the plans he has layed out. I still do not understand. And Yes I am totally scared to death, but I do TRUST Him. No Matter What I know He is looking out for us.


On Tuesday, I had a surprise visit from my Grandma Shirley and my cousin Nikki and her 6 month old little boy, Ryker Jay. It was great that they could come out to spend time with us for a week. Tomorrow is Grandma Shirley's Birthday. She will be 79. So far our visit has been great relaxing and catching up.



Good Night for Now.
Rachael


Rest in Peace Uncle Carl. Your sense of humor will be missed by all who loved you.

3 comments:

  1. My condolances for the loss of your Uncle Carl I am praying you and family. Oh. Precious your 'no bars hold' trust in God is sooo inspiring. Have fun making memories with my sweet Shirley, Nikki and Ryker. Love and prayers, A. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rach, I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle. I learned a long time ago to quit thinking it couldn't get any worse because it did and as I was reading your post I was thinking back over the roughest areas of my life and how so many times I felt like not only had everyone around me forgotten me and didn't care about my struggle, but God did too. it's so easy to spout platitudes of trusting and believing He is in control until something happens. The first issue is ok God I know You are in control so I won't worry but because we are human, we do worry. And then more struggles and we say GOD! I cannot take anymore!! But guess what? 2 Corinthians 12:9 says we will make it, maybe not the way we planned, but with scars and bandaids along the way. I love you so much and I pray that as this year comes to an end, you will be able to look back and sing "how great is our God".......love ya girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. amanda.r.mendoza@gmail.comNovember 18, 2009 at 12:39 PM

    Rachael,

    I know this is a little late,but want you to know that you are such encouragement to me!! How your faith and trust in God just keeps getting stronger stronger! Your awesome!! I love ya girl!! Thank you for being a great example!

    ReplyDelete