Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Countdown is On: July 30th

Four days from now I will be having my bilateral mastectomy. I am really starting to get scared with what is to come. I know they do it everyday but for me this is a once in a lifetime thing. It is also going to be life changing for me. I don't know how I am going to feel when I see myself that way. Or if I want Shane to see me that way. I wonder if he will ever get to the point and just say this is too much. Will I ever be able to look at myself and be confident again knowing what others can't see? I have so my doubts, questions & fears but never the less it is something I have to do no matter what. I keep thinking maybe I could just not do it but I know that is not even an option. My emotions are all over the place & I don't know what to do with them and always end of crying. As I am now. What will the kids think? I will so miss holding Caitlyn for a while until I heal enough to be able to pick her up again.


You see things so differently when you know you are facing something this serious. You realize how precious life is and all of the what if's start going thru your mind. I try not to lean towards the negative but some days are just like that. Today is also Chandler's 9th Birthday and he is in Florida with his Uncle Chad & Aunt Marcella. I miss him so much. It is hard to believe that 9 years ago I was still in the hospital in labor trying to have him. He was not born until 11:58pm. We were so tired. I was so tired I didn't even realize he wasn't breathing. But finally that beautiful cry filled our room. I have to say I would much rather be going to have a baby on Thursday any day than this.


I think it is a little surreal for my friends and family also going thru this with me right now because overall I have done so well. It just seems like hey Rachael got a new hairdo, goes to the doctor a lot, and sometimes has headaches forgetting that I am really having the "fight of my life"And now I feel like I am falling apart. And I hate it. I have tried to be so strong so no one worries too much about me. I am a fighter but I am so human right now and feel so weak. I don't want to be one of the ones who doesn't make it. I don't want this to affect my kids or my marriage etc. Just so many things going thru my mind these last few days. Please do not think I am whining. That is not my intention. But when I decided to write this blog I told myself I would be completely honest, for myself & for whoever was reading it. One day when my kids and I look back and read this I want them to know the truth. It is not all pretty.

While I was in Oregon I made my cousins and aunts go watch "My Sisters Keeper". They all thought it was horrible of me to "make" them go with me having cancer in all. It was pretty good. They sobbed the whole time. They said it kind of helped them to understand what I was going thru. Two main things I could relate to was one scene where they are begging her to get out of bed and go somewhere. She is crying because she feels so ugly with her bald head and begs them not to tell her one more time that she is beautiful. I feel like that too. Everyone tries to tell you different but if doesn't matter because that is so not how you feel inside about yourself at all. The other is she felt like she was a burden to her family: Emotionally & Financially. Wow I can relate with that. I know you can't put a price on your life & what is a few thousand dollars in the grand scheme of things but still feels like a burden you are putting them thru.


So as you can probably tell this is going to be a really rough week for me and I covet every prayer. I know I am not alone but I am still afraid. But it makes me think of a scripture I would say when I was little: "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." That is where I am and what I am trying to do. So please keep me in your prayers this week especially on Thursday. It will be anywhere from a 3-7 hour surgery.


When Shane and I were coming home today I saw a license plate that had Phil 4. I googled it just now because I just thought of it again and the first thing that came up was Philippians 4:6.

Philippians 4:6 (New International Version)
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Wow. He really does hear our prayers and knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts. So Thank you God for hearing my cries of distress and fear. And with a gentle nudge you let me know that you are still there. And that I have nothing to fear when I put my complete trust in you. Amen

Rachael


7 comments:

  1. I admire you. I don't know you, but I admire you. I admire your courage to be so honest about your feelings. I admire your wisdom. I admire your faith. It makes me sad to know you are hurting right now, but it gives me great comfort knowing the love that surrounds you and I know you will be ok. It just can't be any other way!!! You wouldn't be human if you weren't scared. I hope you know there are so many people praying for you that you have never even met.

    I hope Shane or somebody will be able to post an update after the surgery. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and praying for your surgery. If you are having it at Presby. main I know some of the nurses that will be taking care of you and they are awesome! Whenever that scared feeling would come over me I would just dive into the Bible and it always made me feel better. Our God is so loving and I do not know why some people have to go through things, but I believe it really makes your faith stronger and in the end that is what matters is our relationship with God! I am sure this is going to be difficult for you and an adjustment for your family. And I am praying you get to love the new you and all the changes you will be going through. You are doing an awesome job - everyone cries and everyone gets scared - we are only human. Take care girl and we will continue to pray especially come surgery day! Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already think your Wonder Woman and I know you can do this. I'm so sorry I can't be there more but I am praying for all of you. Especially you! I'll be there Sunday afternoon since i have to work Saturday night. I love you Rach!

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ok to be scared, that's part of being human but you also know who holds tomorrow and He will be in that operating room with you.
    You've been amazingly strong and now all of the emotions are coming out-it's ok.

    And will Shane ever say this is just too much? No way! I saw how he looked at you when we were at the lake...this man is here forever!

    I love you so much! Call me anytime if you need to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you right now. I just want you to know that I'm praying for you this week. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

    I love you,
    A. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear sister,
    My heart is broken for the fear you are feeling. I remember you, teaching me to pray that short passage of scripture when we were on the planes alone as children.... What time I am afraid I will trust in thee...I would mumble it softly under my breath, through the tears, as the plane took off...what you taught me has carried me on to every plane and helicopter...every firefight, every challenging situation, and most recently when I felt my world crumble. I am so grateful to have had you as a big sister. Even though you poured cold water on me as I slept, even though you told on me for stealing your quarters, even though you made me sit still as you curled and crimped my hair, even though, as adults, you convinced me that you were able to cut my hair like that singer you like...I love you so much, and I am so proud of your courage and grace...You taught me how to pray through the fear...How to trust His unseen hand...You have given all of us an example of true love. Love for your kind Savior, love for your dear husband, love for your sweet children, love for your obnoxious brothers, love our special and unique parents...You are such a treasure...When I think of all the love you extend I can not help but think of another scripture...Perfect love casts out all fear...Look at Psalms 23 tonight and realize it's just a walk, and it's only a shadow. I love you with all of my heart...
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aunt Mary says "you are a real cute cookie". With or without Boobs you are adorable, a beautiful adoring wife, doting child spoiling mother, Cherished daughter,granddaughter,. Your fan cllub cosnists of adoring aunts, uncles, , cousins (by the dozens and friends ad infinitim. We are all so proud of you and feel your pain....It is real . You are real. this too shall pass. We serve an absolute awesome God who feels our pain and walks with us through our challenges. You were not whining..you were crying on the shoulder of the most compassionate father, your Holy Father God. He is proud of you. Be assured this Lassiter clan is praying for you and your precious family.. Blessings on you, your family medical staff, and all caregivers.
    Hey, girlfriend, now the good newsi....., you are entitled to two sets of leisure and one set of dressup protheses per year. Whoppee..and the bras are something else. What a trip. I would love to go shopping with you...if you want me to. Wouldn't that be a hoot.?

    ReplyDelete