Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Day After: Victory




Today I have had a really good day considering I spent 6 hours poisoning my body with chemo cocktails yesterday. I have felt no nausea at all. I haven't been tired any more that any mom of 3 would be. I don't know if this is overly unusual or not for the day after but I feel great. I feel really normal.

Everyone that has called to check on me sounds really surprised at how alert, happy & well that I sound. Thank God. It is crazy. I don't know if tomorrow will be different but I am enjoying my health today.

Yessie came over today to help me unpack mom's kitchen belongs here at my house. Mom is moving in with us during this time. But if I continue to feel this good I will have to kick her out. I wonder if she will let me keep her washer and dryer still. LOL Just kidding Mom. Love you.
Anyway we had to rearrange the pantry and other cabinets to make room for all her spices and pantry items. Who would think that one person could have as much as a whole family of 5 plus some. Oh Well that is Mom.

I made dinner tonight also. We had Sausage & Black Bean Soup. It was really good. Especially for a cold night out. Yessie made homemade Banana Pudding. It was delicious. Yum Yum!! Thanks again Yessie for all your help today. I love ya Girl!

I was talking to my cousin Nikki saying that if I feel this good thru chemo this really isn't all that bad. And in the end I get a TRAM(Tummy Tuck) & New Breasts. Can't beat that!!! And if they need more tissue I might get a little lipo to boot. LOL.

I know it will probably not be this easy the whole road. But as I said today I feel awesome and I am enjoying it. I know losing my hair in about 2 weeks will be really hard for me at least. Probably worst then losing my breast. I guess because it is an outward symbol that says "I have Cancer." Right now I can go anywhere and no one would know any better. It will be a long road ahead and I am not so naive to think otherwise but for me today is a very big VICTORY!!!!

I want to say, "Thank You Jesus" I would not have the strength, attitude, or sense of humor to go thru this journey alone. So far I have had no bitter or angry thoughts or attitudes. That might change but hopefully it won't. It wouldn't help anything to get angry at this point. I am glad I am not alone physically or spiritually on this walk and that means more than anything.
I hope that I will and others will use this experience of knowing someone close to them who is facing cancer, make the most of life, enjoy the small things, play and laugh with your kids just because you can, hug & kiss your spouse for no reason at all, & take that weekend trip you keep putting off. The Kids don't need more "things" they need you and trust me it will be the quality time on even those short weekend trips that they will remember all the days of their lives, not what toys you bought. Make sure those around you know how much that they mean to you and how much you love them. Just in case tomorrow never comes.
So this is my hat's off to a great day after chemo even if it doesn't last it is one small victory in my battle.


Good Night,
Rachael Renea

10 comments:

  1. Rachael, that is awesome that your mom is moving in with you. It will be an amazing help and comfort to you--I promise. I am so glad that you have done so well. I am praying it continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you all day, I'm so happy you're feeling OK.

    Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.

    I think I'm going shopping for a cute hat for you this week. Any special requests???

    Love you,
    Aunt Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. well I think your hair is gorgeous as well, you look like mamma Lin (yes thats a good thing):).. I think of you and pray for you daily..I am Glad you are not feeling the affects of Chemo and pray that it will be smooth sailing *bighugs*.

    love you girl,
    Valen Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure how else to contact you except through this comment secton. Don't know much about "blogs" but I did not see an email address on this page at all. Rob has been keeping Ashley on Wed. nights now, so I have been going back to the prayer place with Pastor Phil. There is a powerful group of prayer warriors there. If you are up to it on a Wed night sometime, when you bring the boys to Rangers and would like to go, I can meet you there. It is an extrememley peaceful hour! He starts promptly at 6:45. I go every Wednesday and would love for you to go with me sometime! Thinking and praying for you often, Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Rachael,

    I just finished reading your website,and want you to know that I will be praying daily for a speedy recovery. The Lord has you in the palm of His Hands! Let Him be your Balm of Gilead as you go through this Journey. Always know that you are never alone and that you are loved by so many. If there is anything that I can do, please give me a call anytime day or night 704-283-0432. Tell your Mom if she needs anything, just call. I will do what ever I can to help.

    Much Love & Prayers,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU CAN KEEP A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE BIG SIS! PRAISE THE LORD YOU ARE BEING MADE WHOLE THROUGH HIM! I KNOW GOD'S HAND OF PROTECTION IS UPON YOU! KEEP UP THE GREAT ATTITUDE!
    ALL MY LOVE, NIK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachael,
    Skipper Jann from Portland again. You ROCK, girl! And I'm so glad you're feeling well for your first treatment. Keep your chin up and your eyes on Him. Even if you do lose your hair, you're a gorgeous gal, inside and out! Blessings in Him, Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach,
    Your attitude is great!! Keep it up! I want you to know in this time when your facing this challenge you are inspiring others! Thank You for that!Your courage is AMAZING Keep your eyes on the victory. There is power in prayer and Im praying for you everyday girl! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chic, you are the BOMB!!!!!!!!!
    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome is the word!!! You are one awesome person and one awesome writer as well!!! You truly are inspiring and an awesome role model. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete