Friday, February 20, 2009



Today after my haircut we had an appointment with the oncologist in Charlotte. He was great. He was really funny and I really am going to enjoy having him for a doctor. He is very knowledgeable about his field, likes to drop names of famous people he knows, and he is a smartypants who likes for everyone to know it. We really like him a lot.


After a very long desortation about cancer treatments and clinical trials he gave us his recommendation for my immediate treatment. He agrees that doing chemo 1st is a very good choice. It went so far as to say, "You will be cured!!" He gave me a very good prognosis. It was the first good news in a while. It felt so good. However, he also wants to start chemo on Monday morning @ 9:00am.


We very quickly began to have everything set up for us to begin treatment on Monday.

1. Lab Work

2. Echo Cardio

3. Chemo Class


This was all done in the span of 2 hours flat.


My Chemotherapy Cocktail will consist of:

1. Taxotere

2. Herceptin

3. Carboplatin


I have chemo every 3 weeks for 18 weeks. Then I will have Herceptin Treatments every week for 52 weeks. Wow that seems like forever. I know in comparison to my life it is like a grain of sand on the beach.
The boys keep looking at me when they think I am not looking. But said they like it and it looks pretty. Chandler said," Is that a wig Mom?" I said no it was my real hair for now. But maybe when I do have to wear a wig it won't be so dramatic for the them to see the change.
Yesterday morning I was getting the kids up for school. Chandler keep asking, " Are you feeling Ok Mom? Are you sick? Are you tired?" Of course, I am tired. It is 6:30am and anyone who knows me at all knows I am NOT a morning person. LOL.
We went downstairs to get breakfast and as I was filling their bowls with cereal Connor came up to me with his silly little grin and gave me an apple on a paperplate. He said, "Here Mom this is breakfast for you." I love that little boy. He is so tenderhearted and loving. Mommy loves you Connor Riley. May you always stay sweet and sensitive as you are now.

3 comments:

  1. I love the new hair do!! You look beautiful!
    And glad to see you both smiling so big! There is nothing too BIG for our God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a doctor you like will be SO helpful through this journey! I'm glad you found him and that his office is close to ya'll.

    We will be praying you tolerate the cocktail as well as possible.

    LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Heals

    "Remember when you heard the words, and your mind went blank - you were in another world
    God heals
    Remember in your darkest hours when all that surrounds you is pain and sorrow
    God heals
    Remember friends' prayers, your family's encouragement - glimmers of hope from everyday angels
    God heals
    Quiet...you can hear Him now -
    always there - yet never this close
    God heals
    It's just another day, yet everything has changed - and you hear yourself say
    God heals
    Birds are singing -
    the sky is a beautiful blue - flowers are blooming ...
    God heals
    Truths that you knew as a child awakened again with new understanding
    God heals
    Remember when others can't, that life is a gift -each day to treasure
    God has healed."

    Rachael, this poem comes to you with all my prayers and support.
    Love, Carol Bishop Seagle

    ReplyDelete