Sunday, May 24, 2009

Destination


Saturday we drove up to Creedmoor, where Shane's parents live and spent the day with them. Dustin, Yessie & Isabella joined us also. We had a lot of fun just relaxing and hanging out. The boys, all of them, went four wheeling thru the woods and to Falls Lake. Shane helped his Dad mow the lawn. We went fishing and the guys shot guns. Woo Hoo!!! Dustin was in "Hog Heaven". We grilled out steaks and hamburgers and later made homemade tropical ice cream. Yummy. It has crushed cherries, bananas, & pineapple in it. It was so good. Very hard to eat just one bowl.



When we left there we stopped off at the VA Hospital to see Papa Fred. It was about 8pm. So he was already pretty much ready for bed. The hospital was kind of eerie. It was empty and really quiet. So sad for the veterans who especially this weekend deserve so much better. Papa was in good spirits and glad to see us all. He of course wants to go home ASAP. But he has to wait till he can go to physical therapy which will take a few weeks. Not what he wanted to hear. It is really hard to see a man who so many years ago was so strong and that you look up to that is now captive by his own bed and can only move about with the aid of others. I know he hates it. But I guess it is selfish for us to want to keep him with us for a while longer. Apparently, it is God's will too because he is still with us & we are thankful for that. I just wish he could enjoy life a little more than he is able to. For his sake & for his quality of life.



We got home really late last night. (A little after 11pm) That is late for us. We had to get showers and check all the kids for ticks after our day in the country. No Ticks. Yeah!!! Once everyone got in bed it was after midnight. I was so ready for bed. This latest round of chemo is doing a number on my energy. But we are dealing with it. However, my headaches this time have not been anything like what I usually have after chemo. So that is awesome.



Today at church I saw a fellow breast cancer survivor, Diane and then again Jean at Kidz World. It does me good to see that if they can do it so Can I. It is not that I think that I can't it just helps to have a reminder once in a while. There are so many who don't make it and I just do not want to be one of those. I have so much to live for. No matter how good my prognosis is it is ultimately in God's hands. Sometimes that can be hard to accept and know he will do what is best. But so far I am OK with it all and I think he is handling it and me very well.



Today at church, Pastor Rick talked about how:


"An Attitude of Ingratitude stops us from receiving God's Wholeness"


He took his text from Luke Ch 10 about the Ten Lepers about how only the one leper came back and said, "Thank You". How is "cleansing" was deeper than that of the other 9. One of his points was named: Destination vs. Journey. I thought about that and this "journey" that I am on. I realized that some days I am in just a hurry to get to the destination of 'Being Well" that I am forgetting to look, listen & learn what God wants me to do on the actual "journey" itself. If I am going to have to go thru all of this I might as well get all God has for me out of it. Right??? I sure don't want to have to do it all over again. LOL Pastor Rick's point was sometimes we only look to our final destination: Heaven and forget about our journey & our purpose here on earth. While we are here we are to encourage, help, uplift & be there for as many people as we can along this journey of Life.



So I intend to make a conscious effort to really think about my journey. Not just what's in it for me but what can I learn, what do I have to offer & how can I help someone else? Pastor Rick mentioned somehow we can get a warped spirit of "Entitlement". That God owes us or others do, but really we don't deserve anything, but actually owe Him everything. He gave us life and gives us an awesome destination to look forward to at the End of Our Journey!!



Have a great & safe Holiday Weekend,

Rachael


2 comments:

  1. Hi Babygirl glad everything seems to be working out but my truck caught on fire literally top that with all the problems back there ,kidding love ya lots hope ya had a great holisday weekend to lots or prayers and love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great message from Pastor Rick. I'm so glad things are moving ahead for you and yet, you are so right-if God has things for you to learn on this journey, you might as well learn them the first time around and hopefully, there won't be a need for a second time. Some of your cousins have to learn this lesson the hard way. ;-) I'm so sorry to hear about Papa Fred.
    :( I hope Chris gets some much needed rest while he is at the hospital but that Papa comes home soon for his sake.

    We love you all and are praying!

    ReplyDelete