Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Secret Place

This weekend was pretty relaxed. On Friday I made a new recipe called "Pork & Collard Gumbo". I guess that is what you would call it anyway. I had tasted it at a restaurant Shane and I had eaten at a few weeks ago. It actually was really good. I was surprised it turned out so close to the real thing. Dustin and Yessie came over for dinner to and she made dessert, a "Black Bottom Banana Cream Pie". Yummy!!!


Saturday was pretty much a relaxing day. Just straightening things up around the house, laundry, Shane cleaned the gutters and fixed all 3 leaking showers and Mom planted yet again more flowers. She loves it. It does look pretty awesome out there though. Then we went to the pool for a few hours. Dustin and Yessie were there also and Isabella really seemed to like the water. So all the kids had a really good time.


Shortly after we got home Shane's parents came down for a quick overnight visit. We ate leftovers, cornbread, & corn on the cob. It was really good for being leftovers. Shane's parents both really enjoyed it. They are off for a two week motorcycle vacation. Ouch my rear hurts thinking about it. LOL But I am sure they will have fun and take lots of breaks. They were up and gone before we got up for church this morning. But we enjoyed having them even if it was for a night. Papa is in rehab so they are taking advantage of that. I hope they stay safe and have a wonderful time.


This morning we had a special speaker. He spoke about the "The Secret Place". His main text was from Psalm 91:1
He that dwells in the secret place of the most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
The message was about making time to spend with God. Many times we get so busy with living for God, working at the church, volunteering, or singing in the choir that we don't actually take the time to pray. That is where our strength comes from, that is our meat that we need to survive. Sometimes we all, me included, do a really good job of making a good show on the outside of what "great Christians" we are, but we need to remember that we need to spend time with God. It reminds me of an old song someone used to sing in church. It was called, "I miss my time with You". It was a psalm from God to us. It said: " I need to be with you each day and it hurts me when you say your too busy. Busy trying to serve me, but how can you serve me when your spirit's empty. Oh, that we could have the desire and long to spend time in God's presence to the point that we miss it if we don't. Like you miss your coffee in the morning, your morning run or whatever you do on a daily basis. He said, "Satan may not be able to make you "sin" per say, but he can make you too busy"
One of the comments he made really hit me personally. It was this:
The Hell that I walk thru may help another to Heaven!!
I have said this before and this comment just reiterated it for me. If by going thru this I could somehow help, uplift, or encourage someone else I will gladly do so. I might as well make the best of it. I am going thru it either way, so why not do some good along the way on this "journey" of mine. I don't know if you noticed on that verse in Psalm. But the location is 91:1 or 911. This is a spiritual 911 wake up call for all of us. Let's not let our lives become so busy that we can't make it too our "secret place". Whether that is your room, closet or somewhere else in your home, let's make it a priority, not an afterthought or "If I have time" type of thing. He challenged all of us to try for just a week to spend 20 minutes with God. Not asking for anything, because he does know all of our needs but to just praise and thank him for who HE is!!! So I would like to challenge each "reader" if you don't already or have gotten slack, myself included, let's try it and see what God will do for all of us and our families.
Good Night & Have an awesome week in your "Secret Place"!!
Rachael
PS. Little Lestat is having hip surgery on Tuesday. Please keep this little boy in your prayers for a safe and quick recovery in Jesus Name. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Rachael, I love you. Words fail me when it comes to letting you know how awesome I think you are. Your strength and growth are just so wonderful to see. i know this has made all of you closer and I'm so glad I got to see you when you were here. You are just so awesome! I wanted to hide in my room all the time...you have become quite the spokeswoman for early detection...I love ya girl. I can't wait to see you guys next month!!

    ReplyDelete