Sunday, August 9, 2009

Really Good News

On Friday afternoon my surgeon called and let me know that I had on small tumor about 1.25cm in size left but that it was non malignant. All of my other cancer was gone. I have the free and clear. The chemotherapy worked and it was all gone when they went in for my bilateral mastectomy. I am so thankful. It would be horrible to have to do more chemo on top of everything else. We serve an awesome God.

I have more Doctors appointments this coming week. I did get two of my drains out on Thursday. Shane keeps saying, "Well it should feel better getting those 2 out right?" Yeah except for the screwdriver size holes in my side now. Those stupid things hurt. The tubing was in about 5 inches or so inside of me and she says, "Take a deep breath and blow out." And she just yanks it out. It is not quite as painful as it sounds but it doesn't look to good. I go back on Tuesday for her to take out the last drain and to start "pumping" me up. She will start at about 50 cc's of saline maybe a little more. I have to get about 300 cc's total before I start radiation in 3 weeks. Otherwise I will have to wait 2 months after radiation to have the implants put in as opposed to 2 weeks. That is a big difference. So we will hopefully get there in time.

I have herceptin on Monday at 12pm and meet with Dr. Lemantani. I am sure he will be pleased with my pathology report. Then I meet with my surgeon Dr. Turk later that afternoon around 4pm. Hopefully he will take some of the these stitches out. I had a few moles removed while he was cutting things off it I didn't already tell you that. Shane just shook his head.

Shane took the boys to church this morning. I hate missing but that is a lot of people and I am just to sore to take a chance on getting bumped and hugged to hard. Plus I think I walk funny with my arms. I feel like I have these "fat rolls" under my arms and they won't lay down by my sides right. It feels weird anyway.

I did go to the boys camp on Friday though. They were surprised and happy to see me. Both of us really. They were so dirty. Their toes were filthy. Chandler's flip flops broke and he was wearing his counselors sandals that were about 2 sizes to big. They both crashed in the truck on the way home. We stopped and ate BBQ on the way home. Chandler was telling us he learned some new worship songs and was singing them. One of them was Rescue by Newsong back in 2005. Connor says I like the one, "We will We Will Rock You!!!" LOL Leave it to Connor.
Then we are at home eating dinner Saturday night and he says, "Mom they had this drink at camp called Cheerwine. "(For you none southerners it is a cherry soda drink here. Local I think to the area) Sounding a little hesitant says, "And I tasted it. But it didn't taste like wine just like cherry drink" He was laughing. Like it was so silly. LOL He is a riot. I asked him if he tasted it because he thought it was wine. He gave me a shy look and said, "Yeess" Too Funny. I will have to watch that one.

I am feeling stronger but it is weird that my mastectomy sites don't hurt other than the aching "phantom nipples". Under my arms and in my shoulder blades in the back. I may take a few pictures of up under my arms and post. We will see. I still can't really pick anything or anyone Caitlyn up but I have to make myself to exercises and reach to try and get full movement back in my arms. It does hurt more than I thought it would. I guess more because of the expanders. I had heard the mastectomy wasn't that bad but when they put those expanders underneath your actual muscle to stretch & expand your skin it is painful and very sore. I am not used to having everyone do everything for me or having to ask. If Mom wanted to feel more useful she is getting her fill of it now. She cleaned out all my cabinets today and rearranged things. Thank you Mom.

Well I hope everyone has a great and fulfilling week.

All my love,
Rachael

2 comments:

  1. I think getting the drain taken out was one of my worst non-drugged times...it was in the front of my chest and I wanted to throw up...just like you described it: "take a deep breath" and yank...

    I can picture your new walk too. :) I'm so glad you are learning to ask for help and letting people do it.

    Love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, how did the doc appointments go? Hopefully well! So, when are you scheduled for the implants? I am glad they are getting right on that for you... I am sure you can't wait for this part of it to be over!
    Thanks for the update, all my love and prayers, Nik

    ReplyDelete