Sunday, March 8, 2009

Facing Our Giants

This weekend has been really good and relaxing for us. Just hanging out at home enjoying this beautiful Carolina weather. It was actually 79 here today. Absolutely Gorgeous. I am so ready for spring. It just represents so much new life. I have been feeling really good still. A few headaches but controllable with Advil & Tylenol. Thank God.

This morning Pastor Ross spoke about Giants. And going thru this I can say that I think this is the biggest giant I have ever faced in my entire life. And I know anyone who has had the ugly "C" word in their household would probably agree. The outcomes can be so random. Some respond well others have to try other means of treatment and for some they lose their lives. The unknown is so scary. But Pastor Ross showed us a way for us to put those "giants" that are in our lives in their place.

He said some of the giants in our lives can be things as simple as fear & unbelief. Those are some that I deal with off & on thru this "journey" of late. But I have to remember that the Bible says, "Perfect love casteth out all Fear" Not some of my fears but all of them. I know sometimes I worry/fear that I am not doing a good job with the kids. But I read a devotional one day that said, "Do you trust God with your job, your home, finances, safety, salvation, protection, & we could go on & on." Of course all of us would answer, "Yes, I trust him!" Almost defensive, "Like how could you ask such a question?" And God softly & gently answers, "Then trust me that I chose this child for you & have given him/her to you for a purpose. I picked you for his mommy/daddy. I then think, "Wow!!" How true is it that God knew us before we were created in the womb. So of course he knew the child he was giving me and that I would do a good job with his help. One of my favorite scriptures as a child was, "What time I am afraid I will trust in thee." I used to say that if I had nightmares or something now it has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Another thing that really struck me today was the comparison of the valley to the mountain top. So many times when we are going thru a trial we say we are going thru a valley, but if you look at pictures and consider what a mountain top is compared to a valley. The valley is so pretty, Luscious green grass & cool waters. What's not to love?!! But the mountain top is pretty rocky sometimes like our lives. Then I was thinking about the 23rd Psalm when it says, Yeah though I walk thru the valley of the "shadow of death". Maybe this is where that concept of the valley being "bad" comes from. But as I write this another thought came to me, "What makes the shadows in the valley? Answer: The mountains around it. I don't think is was saying the valley was "bad" but it was the "shadow of the mountain". The mountain was the shadow of death in the valley. Just a thought. I am no theologian and have never been to Bible School but this just really hit me writing this and thinking about the sermon today. Maybe I am wrong but it sounds good to me and makes since in light of the message today. LOL

So moving along, I am so thankful for how well I am feeling. Never in 100 years would I think this is what is feels like to have breast cancer & going thru chemo. I know it is only due to all the prayers that have been said on my behalf. I am eternally grateful to each and everyone of you who pray for me. Some I don't even know personally & that makes it even more special that you would take the time to say a prayer for someone you don't even know. I still have a head FULL of hair. A little shorter but still very thick. They say it usually falls out around day 14 or 15 which is tomorrow. YUCK!! I know it will probably happen sooner or later. But I keep hoping I might be one of the few that doesn't loose their hair. I know that is unrealistic but maybe, just maybe I chopped my hair for nothing. LOL That would be funny.

Tomorrow I am going to have surgery to have a Port a Cathe put in. This is a device that they put underneath your skin usually above your heart and below your shoulder blade. It is used do administer chemo, so that they don't have to stick me 52x in my arm. How thoughtful of them? Right?!! LOL They have a numbing spray that they put on you before they stick the needle into the "port". Sounds kind of X-Files to me. But whatever. I'll let you know if it is any better than getting stuck every week. It seems to me that either way I am getting stuck so what is the big deal. As you can see, I am not thrilled about it. But apparently I don't have a choice. This is a giant for me this week.

After surgery, I will be in recovery for a few hours and then have to go to the Oncologist office to have my weekly herceptin treatment. So it will be a very long day tomorrow. Shane is going with me to both. I am glad he will be there for me. So please pray for a speedy recovery from that with no complications & for my bad attitude towards it. JK or as Pastor says,"Kind Of"

One of my final thoughts for the day is from a song that we sang at church today by Chris Tomlin:
:How Great is Our God"
The chorus goes like this:
How great is our God,
sing with me
How great is our God
and all will see How great,
how great is our God !!
I love this song. It always reminds me of God's Greatness. He is not to big for busy mom's & dad's, for our economy, for jobs, or even in my case cancer. He is a great big God. Another thing that Pastor said today was,"Quit looking at how big the giant is!!! Look at how Big Our God Is!!!!" So this week that is what me and my house are going to do. We are going to look at how BIG Our GOD really is. And hopefully "All" will truly see how great he his thru all of us.
PS. As you can tell I enjoyed the message today. Thank you Pastor Rick.
Good Night & I hope you have a wonderful week,
Rachael

2 comments:

  1. Rachael, having the port really is so much better, I promise. The surgery wasn't too bad, and my chest was kind of tight for a bit while it got used to having this foreign object in it, but it is SO much better than the IV needle. They only have to access it once and I could never even feel it. Good luck, I will be praying for you. Also, I know these days while you are pretty much waiting/expecting your hair to fall out at any moment are difficult as well. I am praying for you and remembering how hard it is! By the way, I love that song too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! you are right about the mountains and the valleys! It makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing that with me. I'm Tracy Wright from the Durham church....... you know, Shannon and Christina's mother (and Dustin) I do pray for you regularly and know that the whole matter is truly in God's hands...... if we will let go of it. Sometimes we think that we have, only to realize that we are still fretting over it. It's so hard sometimes to not try and figure it out ourselves or at least help God figure it out. After all it is OUR life. We should be able to have some input. Right? WRONG! We are not our own, we are bought with a price...... and the One who paid the ultimate price doesn't need our help like most of the time we are sure that he does. I don't know why I just said all of that , but there it is! I love you and I'm continuing to remember you in all my prayers. God Bless You Love Tracy

    ReplyDelete