Monday, March 9, 2009

Giant for the day: Surgery for Power Port


Today I had surgery to have my port put in which will make it easier to administer my chemo &
herceptin treatments. It was a long day. We left the house at 8:20am and got home at 7:15pm. Shane did take me out to eat at Blue tonight downtown Charlotte seeing as how we were already there. It was delicious. Thanks Babe. However it made for a long day going in for surgery and then having to go straight from there to my herceptin treatment.



I arrived at the hospital about 9:10am, checked in & waited. Around 10:00am they came to get me and prep me for surgery. I still was not convinced that this was best. However after being stuck 4x today alone just to get an IV going I said, "Ok Lord, I can take a hint. I will do it." Plus my doctor said his kids needed new shoes this week. So however I can help him out....LOL He is really funny. I like him a lot.



I was sent to recovery and was able to leave there around 2:15pm. Next, we headed to the oncologist office for my herceptin treatment. We had been there for about 35 minutes and still had not been called back. I went and asked the receptionist how much longer it would be. She forgot to tell them I was there. Great! Just what I needed! Oh well. We had already spent the day in the hospital what was 35 more minutes. So I got back to the treatment room and waited some more for them to mix up my "cocktail". I slept thru this one because I was just so tired from the anethesia and the day. About 4:30 we were finally done for the day. Then we went to eat at Blue then home.



Shane had to help me undress, bathe, & get dressed for bed. I told him I thought we were going to be a whole lot older before we would have to be doing this. But my arm/shoulder area where they put the power port in is really sore. Not painful but just sore. Like I went to exercise boot camp and then someone punched me really hard in the shoulder. OWW!!! But no sharp pain or anything like that. I told the boys it could be like a Star Wars person & I bet no one in their class had a mommy with a power port. I let them feel it and see a picture of what the port looks like. It is a purple triangular shape with a circle on top then a tube that goes into your blood vessel. Connor said," Mommy you have a purple heart!" He thinks it looks like a heart. Too cute. Yesterday I told them I was having surgery and Connor said, "Mommy they are going to cut "it" off?" I told him,"No!"
That they were just putting in a device so mommy didn't have to get stuck with a needle everytime. He said that was good because he didn't like shots either. Chandler keeps asking,"Mommy when are you going to lose your hair?" "I don't know, Chandler!" "But Mommy you said we could ask you anything?" " You can, but I don't know the answer to that one. It will probably be this week." I think he thinks it will just be neat to see me with no hair. Typical kid.


All in all today was a good day. But I am pretty tired and Shane has to proofread my post before I post it because I am a little "loopy" from pain meds.

Love to all,
Rachael

8 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! I checked this last night but it must not have been posted when I looked, I'm sorry you had to have the port, but I am sure it will be so much better in the long run. Your veins can only handle so much! I have proof! :-) I'm glad today was a pretty good day and I'm happy you feel like eating out after treatment! What a blessing! We went to Red Robin tonight and I was thinking of you (we didn't go for dessert somewhere else though ;) lol)...I couldn't wait to come home and see how your day went. I love you and and we are praying for you. Lexi is doing a thing at school for Heart Health and they said they could do it in honor of someone even if they didn't have heart problems or whatever and she put you on the board. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You still amaze me. Such an ordeal you went through today, yet you still wrote a nice post for friends and family. Perhaps it's good therapy for you as well, but you are to be applauded. You are handling this quite well, it seems.
    By the way... Jonathan worked at Blue the last year of college. The food 'is' excellent. They were good to him and always so nice to me the few times I went in. Jon really liked working with their chef and still misses working there and getting to create, but he was offered a better opportunity elsewhere just b4 graduation. However, the chef does call him occasionally to see if he can help them.
    Keeping you in my prayers. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Babygirl if you want to hear about someone who had a worse couple of days than you call your big brother and have him recount his trip from MAINE TO NC and he'S ONLY to DC that kids good entertainment . talk to ya soon love DAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my mom had to go get the port put in.. she always said it made things a little easier. I loved the nugget you posted a couple days ago from your pastor's sermon. I have never thought of it that way. I love you Racheal and we are always praying for you !

    Ericka

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! WHAT A GIANT! IT IS ACTUALLY FUNNY THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE CALLING IT BECAUSE THATS WHAT KENNY'S DAD HAS BEEN SAYING LATELY ABOUT THINGS HAPPENING IN HIS LIFE. I CALLED YESTERDAY I DONT KNOW IF YOUR MOM TOLD YOU BUT I JUST WANTED TO CHAT! I WILL CALL YOU LATER! THE POST WAS VERY INSPIRATIONAL. MAYBE YOU COULD GO ON TOUR OR SOMETHING!!!

    LOVE YA NIK

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are beautiful inside and OUT, I hate to tell you but bald can't change that!! It will just make those blue eyes stand out all the more:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a power point for Lupus treatments & also take chemo for lupus. You are an inspiration. i. never thought of it that way-I've got a purple heart too! :). God bless you & your precious family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a power point for Lupus treatments & also take chemo for lupus. You are an inspiration. i. never thought of it that way-I've got a purple heart too! :). God bless you & your precious family.

    ReplyDelete